Learn more about SmartWay Implementation for our Commercial Customers
Posted by Bangor Tire on 04/01/2010.
- SmartWay began in 2004 as a voluntary partnership between government and industry to reduce emissions
· In December 2008, the California Air Resources Board mandated implementation of SmartWay for trucks operating in California
· The program is no longer voluntary for any truck pulling a 53’ or longer dry van trailer or refrigerated trailer
· AB32 allows for a “phase in” period for compliance
SmartWay Tire Compliance
· Tires meet SmartWay performance standards if, as part of a set, they demonstrate a 3% vehicle fuel savings
· Tire manufactures can demonstrate compliance using a vehicle fuel test or by testing tire rolling resistance test in a laboratory
· Yokohama used the lab rolling resistance method because it is more precise and less costly
· Due to a recently passed California regulation, the US EPA’s SmartWay Program has become an important issue for thousands of fleets
· Regulation “kicks in” January 1, 2010
· SmartWay tires are part of the requirement
· Although many tires are listed, not all listed tires have equal rolling resistance
*For Yokohama qualified tires go to the commercial page and click on the Yokohama tab.
For more information contact: